Monday, September 16, 2013

Why We Homeschool

We're a homeschooling family.  I've read several articles and books recently touting the 'renaissance' homeschooling seems to be enjoying.  I don't know if that is actually the case, or if homeschoolers (like us) are simply choosing to be a little more vocal about their choice to learn at home.  There are literally billions of different reasons families might choose homeschooling.  Some cite religious reasons, some have safety concerns, and some simply aren't satisfied with what local schools have to offer. For our family, homeschooling was something we spent a lot of time researching, discussing, and weighing before deciding to commit.  My husband is a product of private school, and I am a far less traditional cross-breed.  (Call me an educational 'mutt' if you will.)  I am a partial product of public school, homeschooling, and a miraculous program called "Dual Enrollment" where I had the chance to complete college courses for high school credit.  I went on to earn a degree in education, with the intention of teaching in the public school system (even though things didn't quite work out that way).  Needless to say, our educational backgrounds gave us a slightly different perspective when it came time to choose a path for our children's education.  The decision was made slightly more interesting for us when we realized our son was 'advanced' for his age and that our daughter had some special needs that would have to be addressed while planning her education.  And while there are pros and cons of any decision, homeschooling was the path that was the best choice and fit for us as a family.
My son's first sentence, written and illustrated at age four.
We enjoy being able to take a vested, personal approach to our children's learning.  We love that we can provide education that is absolutely individualized to their intellectual, emotional, and social needs and abilities.  Our son is doing math above his 'grade-level,' and working his way through phonics and reading using real, interesting literature, not a mass-produced textbook.  He thrives on routine and structure and counts the days until library story time and his play-date with friends each week.  My daughter has occupational therapy once a week and speech therapy three times weekly.  She also has some sensory and social issues we are able to monitor and address more thoroughly (I believe) at home than in a school-setting.  Homeschooling also allows us to 'bring it with us.'  My daughter's therapy mornings find my son and I camped out in the clinic's waiting room, reading a book, working on math, or playing a word game.  At home, we structure things (I highly recommend the investment of a cheap kitchen timer!) so that they have time to do activities together, such as Play-Doh or block building, and then time for individual work.  This enables me to spend time with each of them, working with my daughter on her apraxia flashcards, or doing a reading lesson with my son.  It is not always simple or easy.  There are many days when things don't go as planned and we have to get creative.  Some lessons work beautifully; some flop.  Some days my daughter cooperates and lets my son work without interruption; some days are just one looong interruption, with a little work squeezed in between.
Mama said there'd be days like this...
 Homeschooling is not for everyone.  My husband and I happen to love it and have a mutual passion for it.  Your house may not think or feel the same way.  Homeschooling may not be of interest to you or it may not be a possibility for you.  And that's okay.  There are great ways to stay involved in your children's education, even if you don't choose to do ALL their schooling at home.  And even though homeschooling is what works best for us on many levels, things are not always smooth-sailing.  At times, I really feel the added stress of not only having a mountain of laundry to tackle and dinner to get ready, but lesson plans to make, supplies to get ready, and record-keeping to complete.  There are times when we look at our budget and wonder if we wouldn't be doing ourselves a favor if both of us worked, instead of scraping to make ends meet for the sake of me and the kids' staying home.  However, at the end of the day, we know we've made the right choice.  Homeschooling just works for us.  It brings us together as a family, requires us to work together, and opens each of us to sharing our interests and knowledge (I have no idea how the landing gear on a plane works; go ask Daddy!).  I believe we are a happier, healthier family because of homeschooling. 

Unfortunately, we've already encountered those who seem to believe our children will be 'odd' and unsocialized; ultimately unable to function in the "real" world because of their lack of traditional classroom education.  Our answer to them goes something like this:
This is his "I'm so excited I found a turtle" face!
Our children are being educated in the "real" world each day.  Each trip to the library, grocery store, hiking trail, or bank is an opportunity for them to learn what kind of place the world is.  Their social encounters range from play-dates at the park with children of various ages, to conversations with adults in the store checkout line or a keeper at the zoo.  My kids learn values, morals, and ethics from their daily interactions and experiences, rather than from a worksheet or because they received an award for doing so.  They are intrinsically motivated to learn for the sheer joy of finding out something new and exciting.  Their idea of a vacation is a trip to visit an art museum or aquarium where they can continue to gain knowledge about things they love and the world around them.  To me, this doesn't sound odd, unsocialized, or unable to function.  It sounds rather like the kind of adult I strive to be daily.  And THAT is why we homeschool.  My message in all of this is not to try to 'convert' you all to become homeschoolers.  It is to encourage you to do what's right for your family and for your children, even if it may be the more difficult path or the road less traveled.  Trust me, the payoff is amazing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment